Friday, July 25, 2014
We just got a Melissa and Doug Swirl 'n Spin. Oh. my. goodness. So much fun. I've always felt a little "eh" about spin art, but after seeing Ethan's process, I may have changed my mind. Not only was he enjoying the art, but he was experimenting: What happens if I.... I wonder what it will look like when I... He tried so many things I wouldn't have thought to try on my own. (See the photo where he drew lines with the paint.
Lately, the creative in myself has been wanting to get back to some more "hands-on" projects. Different mediums, etc. I want to spend time experimenting with art and seeing what sticks. This spin art has done just that for Ethan, and it's just been so fun to watch! (Pretty sure you can tell how much he enjoyed it when you look at that face!)
Friday, May 30, 2014
I originally saw this idea on a post from The Micro Gardener, and I knew right away that I needed to try hanging my herbs this way.
I created them the
I spray painted them with white Rustoleum spraypaint, choosing white to help avoid cooking the roots of the plants in the sun.
I was able to pretty much buy the herb plants and slip them right down into the cans. Again, it was much easier with the larger tomato can than it was with the soup cans. Either way though, they are happy, smell great, and are looking fabulous. They do require frequent watering however, since the planters are so small.
Anyway, bottom line? Love them.
Wednesday, May 14, 2014
We started with a sweet potato perched inside a Mason jar full of water. Now we have a lovely beginning of a sweet potato vine, planted and ready for summer.
I held the potato in place while Ethan filled the planter with dirt. (PS. I lined the coconut husk planter with a grocery bag)
And there we are...loving the great outdoors.
Tuesday, May 13, 2014
Tuesday, April 29, 2014
We recently went on a long weekend trip. I knew my do-it-myself preschooler would
insist on want to choose his own clothing to bring along with him. To empower him to make his own choices as well as maintain some order (I mean, he may want to bring 20 t-shirts, but we only have so much trunk space--and Mom has multiple pairs of shoes to pack), I made this little illustrated packing list using Microsoft clip-art and Microsoft Word.
How easy is that?!!? Above each clip art, I put the number of each item that he was supposed to bring (great number reinforcement, right?).
The list worked perfectly and definitely helped him to feel like a big kid, in charge of his own packing process. We will certainly use these illustrated packing lists again!
Tuesday, March 25, 2014
This project was a definite winner with the 3 year old!
I drew some inspiration from Piikea Street's Modern Tin Art that I found on Pinterest.
I started by cutting out a piece of cardboard (think cereal box) and had Ethan cut slits around the edges (boy loves to use scissors). We then randomly strung yarn through some of the slits. After, we covered it with foil.
I gave Ethan paint and some glitter glue which he spread around with a paint brush. He then asked to add stickers, so away he went.
He is crazy proud of these pieces. I can see why. They are quite different, and of course, shiny and sparkly! I love mixed media pieces because they are really good for supporting creativity. Win.
Friday, March 21, 2014
I have a small stack of LP records at home, but I've never had a good way to store them. My best solution has been putting them inside a milk crate...which really isn't a solution at all. In fact, it's a really bad, eye-sore of a solution.
In an effort to do some clean-up, I went online and searched for a storage solution. Granted, I didn't want to spend a lot of money, but so many of the reviews for such things came back saying that the product didn't live up to the user's expectations. They were flimsy...hard to assemble... Sigh. On reviewer said the purchase was in essence spending $15 on a cardboard box.
So, I went back to the drawing board. Did I have a cardboard box? I discovered that a simple diaper box was exactly the right size. Hallelujah!
I taped the flaps up tall with packing tape, and covered the box with contact paper. Contact paper can be a tricky thing. If you look at the back of my box, there are quite a few bubbles. I really just focused on keeping the front side especially clean.
If I were to do it again, I'd use a darker colored Contact paper. The white shows through the box design a bit. But, it's what I had on hand.
For me, the box worked out perfect. I really just slide it in and out from under the turn table's table. ;) I will admit that if you would prefer a lid, or you will be moving the box around quite a bit, this may not be the solution for you.
It's wonderful to see my records looking so cozy!